POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interlocking Heightfields. : Re: Interlocking Heightfields. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interlocking Heightfields.
From: Stephen
Date: 12 May 2008 04:08:09
Message: <imuf24dlh7v0k244h0bbbp5el1a9em5ajn@4ax.com>
On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:33:47 +0200, "Thomas de Groot"
<t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:

>What I have done sometimes, and if some repetition is not too obvious in the
>final image, is to mirror a height_field along x or z (or both, according to
>need). The seam is absolutely invisible.

That was my second thought Thomas but my scripting skills are somewhat
lacking. I am using a #while loop and the mirrored HF are displaced.
In the morning (with a clearer head I might be able to do it properly
using a local transformation. My first thought was to use a function
like:
   height_field {
      function 100, 100 {pattern {spotted scale 0.3 rotate -90*x}}
smooth
      scale <30,5,30>
   }

Which should define a height field in 3D space but I cannot find
enough information in the documentation to enable me to do it
properly. Again poor scripting skills. Alas alack, the curse of using
a modeller :-(
--

Regards
     Stephen